COMMUNITY OF CONCHO
As settlers came to the area in the late 1800s, a small farming community developed here along the Concho River. In 1905 a post office opened in the home of W. D. Cape. In 1906 J. W. Barr (d.1964) opened a general store at this site. As the business center for the surrounding rural area, the settlement was also the site of a school, two churches, a cotton gin, a blacksmith shop, and a cemetery. Although the population had declined by the 1940s and the post office was closed in 1954, the site of the pioneer community serves as a reminder of the area’s early settlers.

(1983)

Erected by the Texas Historical Commission, 1983

Home | Cemetery Association | Gravesites | Plat Map | Email
© 2001-2016, Donna Goehring Seago. All rights reserved. Last updated 11 June 2016.